Of the lands of Viperesti commune are linked several names:

Ştefan Bârsănescu (1895 – 1984) – emblematic personality of the Romanian pedagogy, born in Viperești. Academician, correspondent member of the Romanian Academy, pedagogue and essayist. Ştefan Bârsănescu attended the seminar studies in Buzău and the university studies in Iaşi, obtaining the degree in law, in 1919 and then in philosophy, in 1921. He subsequently studied in Germany, obtaining his PhD with the thesis “Emil Boutroux, his life, work and philosophy”.

The teaching career of the pedagogue from Iasi includes periods of activity as an assistant at the Department of Psychology of the University of Iaşi, then as director of the Normal School of boys “Vasile Lupu” in Iasi. Since 1933 he became professor at the Department of Pedagogy of the University of Iaşi.

The scientific works of Ştefan Bârsănescu cover fundamental topics in the education sciences – general pedagogy, history of pedagogy, cultural pedagogy, pedagogical epistemology („Pedagogy for the normal schools” – 1932, „Didactics” – 1935, “ The unit of the contemporary pedagogy as a science” – 1936, “ Politics of culture in contemporary Romania” – 1937, „History of the Romanian pedagogy” – 1941).

Ştefan Bârsănescu was and remained the most remarkable historian of the education and pedagogy, through the work of 1941 providing the first synthesis of the history of the Romanian pedagogy. He considers that the peoples present themselves in the global arena through the quality of the historical studies, which are a testimony of the cultural level reached by a human community.

The pedagogy of culture has in Ştefan Bârsănescu, disciple of Eduard Spranger, the most important Romanian representative. From this perspective, the purpose of education is the cultural personality, characterized by the mastery of a large circle of knowledge, by man’s capacity to devote himself to the good, to the truth, to the beautiful and to create cultural values. The concept of cultural personality included the one of moral personality. The truth, the good and the beautiful are eternal values beyond time and space.

Ion Caraion was born on May 24, 1923, in Rusavat commune (today Viperesti), Palici village, Buzau county. His real name is Stelian Diaconescu. At the age of 16 years he was translating the poetry volume „Les fleurs du mal” of Baudelaire.

Between 1935-1942 he attends the courses of “B.P.Hasdeu” High School from Buzau, where, in 1941, together with Al. Lungu, he writes the poetry magazine “Zarathustra”.

He makes his debut in 1943, with the poetry volume “Panopticum” (“Prometreu” Publishing House); he attends the courses of the Faculty of Letters and Philosophy and works at the newspaper “Timpul” .

Since 1945 he was general editorial office secretary of the magazine “Lumea” (director G. Calinescu), and in 1947 he was appointed head of press at the Fundatiile Regale Publishing House (director of the publishing house: Al. Rosetti).

He publishes together with Virgil Ierunca the poetry magazine in five languages “Agora”, in which published prestigious poets and essayists from the country and abroad (the magazine was banned). He publishes two virulent articles: ” The crisis of the culture ” and ” The human crisis ” in the newspaper “Jurnalul de dimineata”.

Between 1950 and 1955 he is imprisoned, he is taken to the Canal and in the lead mines of Cavnic and Baia Sprie (following a political conviction). Until March 1958 he is the editor of the publications ” Language and Literature “, then he is convicted again until 1964. “He makes his new debut” in 1966 with the poetry volume “Essay”.

He writes and publishes in a stunning tempo to “recover” the years that have been stolen from him by the prison.In 1981 Caraion family receives political asylum in Switzerland and settles in Lausanne, where the writer publishes the international magazines “Don Quijote” and “Correspondence”. He dies at Lausanne in July 21, 1986. In 1988 he was honored posthumously at Sorbonne. From his vast opera we mention: “The mole and the neighbour”, „The duel with the murder “, „The leaves of Galaad”, „Bacovia. The continuous end ” and the translations from the works of Marcel Ayme, Honore de Balzac, Al. Dumas, Ezra Pound.


Ghica Pantazi (1831 -1882) , writer, politician, son of Dimitrie Ghica and of Mărie Câmpineanu. He grew up at his grandparents’ estate in Rușavăț village. At the same time editorial secretary of the magazine „Magazin istoric” and private secretary of Nicolae Bălcescu, he was appointed commissioner of propaganda for Prahova county during the Revolution of 1848. In this capacity he accompanied Nicolae Bălcescu at Buzău on June 22, 1848 when they welcomed the Turkish diplomat Talaal Efendi. Arrested after the revolution was quelled, he has been exiled and forced to go to Constantinople and then to Paris. He took part in the Crimean War between 1853 -1856, as a lieutenant in the imperial guard, being decorated and advanced as captain. In 1858 he returned in the country and between July 28, 1866 – July 1,  1867, he was appointed prefect of  Buzău. He wrote Romanian fairy tales, theater („Mr. Drumarescu “, and „Madmen in front “) and the autobiographical novel „A Romanian bohemian “.


Touristic routes:

Viperesti – Buzaului Valley/ Buzau River –Bradului Hill (662m alt), Ciolanu – Blocks of limestone – coral fossils – Jurassic, “Salt of  Buzau” geological reservation – springs and salt efflorescences.

Viperesti- Muscel village –Buzaului Subcarpathians –Ursoaia Hill (726m alt) – The wooden church “St. Dumitru ” 1666 –”Carnu” monastery

The church “St. Archangels “in Tronari was built in 1845, by Radu Popescu , Dimitrie Tiu and Oprea Tiu. Subsequently, the place of worship was painted in 1861 by the archpriest Neagoe Sachelar. It is a warm and welcoming church, surrounded by trees, a perfect place for spiritual meditation.

The church “Saint Emperors” in Ursoaia village was founded by the monk Teodosie, former captain Tudor Popescu, between 1783-1792. The church is an oasis of peace, remembering you that every moment of our life is a miracle, each day of our life is a gift that we must enjoy incessantly.

The church dedicated to the “Assumption” from Rusavăţ village was founded by Grigore Rusaveteanu, in the period 1847-1849 and painted by his sons in 1865.

The Monument of the Heroes of the First and the Second World War from Vipereşti commune is located in the courtyard of the Town Hall, in a private space being composed of an obelisk surmounted by a cross. This probably replaced an eagle with open wings that disappeared in the 50s – 60s. On the obelisk is inscribed “The campaign of 1916 – 1919” and on the three sides are inscribed the names of 90 soldiers from the regiments 7, 8, 48, 58 infantry, 2, 3, 5 hunters, 5 crack cavalry, 7 artillery and 3 and 8 howitzers. On the basis of the pedestal, at the front, it is written the text: „The heroes of 1944-1945”, and follows the name of 5 soldiers. The monument, unfortunately, in the desire to be better cared for, was painted with white, and the ornaments with black and golden ..


There are points of touristic interest performed through the work and skill of the people such as:  The Fountain of the Thieves from the forest of Tronari village, the place where the outlaws were meeting in the past; The wooden church from Viperești village; The Canton of hunting Viperești.