Natural reservations

In the commune Măgura there are two mineral springs. First with sulphurous water, bicarbonate, chloride, sodium, magnesian (has a mineralization of 1.449 g / l), calcium, and the second with water bicarbonate, chloride, sodium, calcium, magnesium, low sulfur, hypothermia, with mineralization of 1,221 g / l. In the Ciuta village area there are salt and gypsum afloriments, and there are also limestone deposits. In Buzău river bed there are significant deposits of river aggregates (gravel, sand).

Touristic routes:

 

Magura- Ciuta Village – Buzaului Subcarpathians –Ciolanu Hill, Cerbului (540m alt)/ Buzau river – “Nifon” Hermitage with the Church “The Entering in The Church of The Virgin Mary” 1762

 

Magura commune – Buzaului Subcarpathians – Buzaului Valley–Ciolanu Hill, Cerbului (540m alt)/ Buzau river – “Ciolanu”  Monastery 1580 Icons painted by Gh. Tattarescu, The Cross Museum (The monastery is located betweek the communes Tisau sat Hales and Magura), The Sculpture Camp

The Parish of the Church Măgura is dedicated to the Saint Hierarch Nicolae. The place of worship was built by the parish faithful people in 1885 and over time has received extensive renovations and restoration. Latest works were started in 2000, being rebuilt also the church painting, in fresco technique.

In front of the church with the titular “Saint Nicholas” in a dominant position, rises the heroes monument, an obelisk with a cross on top, placed on a pedestal in steps, surrounded by chains of iron. On the facade appears the inscription: “This monument was erected to honor our heroes by helping believers Romanian parish priest Magura and Călin Constantin in 1994”. The list with the names of fallen heroes in the two world wars is kept in the church.

The hermitage of Saint Nifon was founded in 1811 by deacon Niphon from Ciolanu Monastery. The hermitage was built on the land donated by foreman Nitu Fintescu. The small church dedicated to St. Nicholas was built of wood. Over the road, in front of the hermitage was built in 1856 the church cemetery.

A second church, a greater one, will be built in 1842 by Nicolae Pieleanu the supplier, helped by abbot Constantin with the council and other believers. The church of stone wall was completed on November 9, 1845 and consecrated with the dedication day of St. Panteleimon and of the Healing Spring.

The stone church, imposing by its proportions, in the shape of cross, is divided into the altar, nave, narthex. The altar is lighted by a large window in front and a small one on the left. On the right of the altar was built a room for vesmantarie. The nave receives light from one of the two large windows located on each side of the wall, and the narthex which has a large space is lighted by two windows on each side of the walls. All the windows are equipped with metal railings. The iconostasis is made of carved wood, and the porch, completely open, is held in front of two stone columns arranged side by side on the right and left, the center is free. It has the vault with the old painting, with inscriptions written in Slavonic. The church has a large dome opened on the nave in hexagonal shape, pierced by six very tall windows. On the narthex are two towers all hexagonal, but small and with no windows. The towers and the church are covered with tin. The exterior facades have a superficial, simple surrounding belt, and are whitewashed. In the nave and narthex space, on each side there is one great niche.

 

After the secularization from 1864, the hermitage was disbanded through an order of the ministry.
In the late nineteenth century inside the hermitage will be arranged a hospital for lung diseases. The Hermitage St. Niphon is reactivated in 1990.

It was reopened later, but in 1960, following the Decree 410/1959, it has been closed. It was opened again after The Revolution from 1989. The landscape around the hermitage is rooted in stories like, the ideal place for silence and meditation.

Still at Niphon, in 1861, Bishop Dionysios Romano rearranges the sulphurous baths here, personally spending 500 ducats. He spoke in 1862 to the Romanian Country Health Service, recalling that they could successfully serve to the sick soldiers, especially if they build a edifice for them, because “it is good that near the building of the religious soldiers to be placed another one of the homeland defeater, when he is physically suffering “. Thus, in 1868, General Davila warned their organizer that 49 lower degrees of several garrisons have obtained the permission to come here for treatment.

The baths were known throughout the country and due to the special care, provided by an Italian specialist, whose tomb is located in the left side of the entrance to the cemetery.

Ciolanu Monastery, situated at about 40 km from Buzau, it is located in a setting of everyday life like torn. It is surrounded by dense and almost pathless, neighbor of the Sculpture Camp Măgura and, especially, clothed in thick silence, favorable for praying.

It impresses through the imposing entry, through the two churches built at a distance of several hundred years apart, in contrast to the little cemetery where rest personalities of Romanian Christian spirituality. It is the largest and most important monastery in the Archdiocese of Buzau and Vrancea.

Ciolanu is the only monastery in Buzau attested since the sixteenth century. In place of the current monastery there were certainly hermits monks rooms, perhaps even a hermitage hermits on Ciolanu Hill, in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, since the excavations that were made later in the sixteenth century, uncovered the remains of ancient hermits who lived here long before the building of this church. From these human remains comes the name of Ciolanu (The Bone).

In the seventeenth century, Ciolanu place of worship was worshiped to Dusikon Monastery from Rumelia, in northern Greece, a situation that will last until 1813, when the abbot Paisie took out definitively, the monastic place from the domination of the Greeks. This worship leads to desolation of the Ciolanu Monastery. It remains so until the first half of the eighteenth century, when some sources attest the existence of abbots here, Anania (1705) and Michael (1734). The one who was to reorganize the monastery, to regain spiritual brilliance of yesteryear, is abbot Vasile from Poiana Mărului, which brought here, in the 1763, 12 Moldavian and Wallachian monks. In 2003, he was canonized as a result of repeated interventions of the Epiphany of His Eminence, Archbishop of Buzau and Vrancea. The place is listed last time in the Middle Ages, in 1766, into a royal charter. After this Ciolanu disappears for almost a century of the historical writings. By the mid-nineteenth century, the monastery begins to regain his momentum through some donations, but also through the efforts of industrious abbots, reaching to hold numerous properties. Over time, the holy abode suffered several changes, especially under the abbot Anthony in 1854, and under the leadership of Ioanichie, in 1857. The church painting is particularly beautiful, being made in fresco by the monk Elisei, during 1850-1855, and renovated by G. Georgescu in 1885, and in 1980, the painting was washed by the painter Ion Potlogia from Buzau. In 1825 the Bishop of Buzau Chesarie begins raising the two churches, dedicated to “St. Peter and Paul”. The new sanctuary was consecrated on April 25, 1828. The church was heavily damaged by fire flames that erupted in 1855, which required extensive consolidation, which started during Bishop Filotei of Buzau (1850-1860) and completed in 1862. The painting, originally performed by Nicolae Teodorescu, was fully restored by him, in 1862. It was restored in 1934 by painter Nicolae Solescu from Buzau in 1983-1984, after the great earthquake of 1977. Ciolanu large iconostasis is a true work of religious art, being embellished in the 1884 by George Tattarescu, master’s Nicholas Teodorescu grandson, with icons of Jesus Christ, the Virgin and St. John the Baptist. These icons represent the three elements nowadays emblematic for the monastery. Ciolanu holds a Byzantine icon, painted at Athos, which depicts St. George.

“There is a tradition here that the old church, dedicated to” St. Great Martyr George” would have been built by Lady Neaga, the wife of Mihnea the Second (1585-1591), ruler of Romanian Land. The historic Constantin C. Giurescu combats this idea and claims that the holy shrine dates from the time of Alexander the Second Mircea (1568-1577). However, since there is no documentary source stating this, it remains to believe the quality of founder of Mrs. Neaga. However, the wife of Mihnea II is assigned also other founders: Cislau and Aninoasa Monastery, and hermitages Tisau, and Buda Lapoş “says Father Serafim Jurcă, abbot of the monastery.

The Sculpture Camp from Magura, Buzau county, is unique in Europa

Magura camp is the fruit of the endeavors made by the authorities of Buzau county and Artists Union of Romania and had, from the beginning, a symbolic unitary concept. The soul, the binder and the organizer of this camp was sculptor George Coman. In 1970, when it was founded, was to mark the 16th centuries document of Buzau. It was scheduled as a time of 16 years, 16 sculptors, always others to come to work in clearings of Magura.

Artists were not imposed a specific theme, very rare at the time, each creating block based on what was for stone by drawing lots. In the 16 years, in August and September, on Magura hills it has been carved intense and when all this ended, there remained 256 works in stone, which some art critics even consider them masterpieces. The fact that after 1990 the meadow with sculptures was won by Ciolanu Monastery, nearby, who claimed they own good works in stone, the monks having very different preferences than artistic carvings.

Currently the camp is managed by the Buzau County Museum of History, its restoration began somewhere in July 2007. The restoration team was led by Deputy Director of County Historical Museum, Ana Dicu and the artistic adviser, Emil Pricopescu. Important is the entire landscape, the energy that emanates each work, the whole concept behind the sculpture of this camp. Each work has its own message, its own history.
As a curiosity of the place if paranormal topics taste, you will be fully satisfied. In the vicinity of the sculpture camp, less than 200 meters, is a slope where gravity seems to be crazy. A car left free, with the engine switched off and the parking brake residue of a pencil goes down hill as if ignoring any law of physics.

The Fountain of Mihai Viteazul is a monument built in 1985 in the village of Ciuta, Măgura commune, Buzău County, for the anniversary of 375 years since the passing of Michael the Brave on the Buzau valley to Transylvania. The monument is located right where the prince arrived with his army, for one night in October 1599 and it was made by the sculptor George Coman, one of the initiators of outdoor sculpture camp from Măgura.
The monument is a broad construction, of concrete, oriented horizontally rectangular form, on a massive pedestal, clad in white stone plates from Măgura, which are mounted on the central reliefs with Michael the Brave, with the ax in his left hand high above his head, framed by groups of soldiers on horseback. Above the central figure is the effigy emblem of the three countries united by the great ruler. On the back of the monument are made stylized floral elements and a plaque mounted with the following inscription: “This monument was built from the desire of Buzau County citizens on the occasion of 375 years from the first Romanian political union of countries Wallachia, Transylvania, Moldavia, fully honoring the great ruler Michael the Brave and his glorious army , in front of which, in the autumn of 1599 passed on Buzau valley towards Transylvania. ”

In Măgura commune there is a church “The Entering in The Church of The Virgin Mary” Ciuta village, architectural monument of national interest. The church is very modest and decorated like in the stories. Along with the church, a stone building with white base and wooden room there are the bell towers. The ensemble dates from 1762 and is surrounded by the graves of locals who presides over the famous funerary monuments made by the stone carvers from Ciuta.

In front of the church dedicated  to “The Entering in The Church of The Virgin Mary”, in the cemetery is a monument in the shape of a cross, with a crown around the arms, which bears the statue of a soldier that is in silence. The assembly is placed on a pedestal that has in the corners stone shells. The inscription informs us that “This monument was renovated for the heroes of the independence war, heroes of the village of Ciuta from the two world wars”, for “their eternal remembrance, with gratitude, the Church”. The monument is the work of  the masters Nicolae and John N. Ionescu, donated by Stănciulescu family. An inscription carved on the back of the monument says that, “The heroes of the village of Ciuta written on this monument, was at the war veteran’s, Captain (r) Iancu N. Virgil initiative”. The Names of the heroes from the Second World War of the village are inscribed on the monument, numbering 15.