Pârscov is the locality of residence of the commune with the same name in Buzău County, located in the Curvature Subcarpathians area, in the valley of Buzău. In the commune are the following villages: Pârscov, Badila, Curcăneşti, Lunca Frumoasă, Oleşeşti, Pârjoleşti, Robeşti, Runcu, Târcov, Tocileni, Trestieni and Valea Purcarului.

At the end of the nineteenth century, Pârscov commune was the residence of Pârscov field (before its union with Slănic field) of Buzău County and was composed of the hamlets: Bădila, Lunca Frumoasă and Pârscov, with a total of 5,400 inhabitants. In the commune were functioning one mixed school and 4 Orthodox churches. On the territory of the present commune were functioning in the same field also the communes Robești and Târcov. Robești commune was composed of the hamlets Robești, Runcu and Stănilești. Târcov commune had the villages Gura Târcovului, Oleșești, Târcov and Trestieni.In 1925, Robești commune had been disbanded and incorporated into Târcov commune, together with Gura Aninoasei commune. Pârscov commune was included in turn also in Pârscov rural district, having a similar structure (only Pârscov village had been split temporarily in Pârscovu de Jos and Pârscovu de Sus, the last being also the residence of the commune. In 1931, was temporarily established Lunca Frumoasă commune, its former subdivisions, Curcănești, Pârjolești, Tocileni and Valea Purcarului, becoming independent villages of this commune. In 1950, the three communes (Pârscov, Lunca Frumoasă and Târcov) were included in Cărpiniștea rural district of  Buzău  region and then (after 1952) of Ploiești region ; in time, Lunca Frumoasă commune was disbanded and incorporated into Pârscov commune, and Târcov commune was disbanded and divided between Pârscov and  Berca commune . Since 1968, Pârscov commune is again part of Buzau county.

Pârscov

Most of the times Parscov is associated with the weekly fair on Tuesday with the sawmill and the Chinese cigarette factory and rarely, only by the last Mohicans lovers of art, with the name of the great Vasile Voiculescu.

 

As is well known, the Romanians know to honor their heroes, so that in almost every village of Parscov commune there is one monument dedicated to the heroes of the nation.

In the village cemetery near the church dedicated to “Saint Nicholas” rises the heroes’ monument, made of stone, built in 1922, of pyramidal shape, with floral decorative elements. Above the inscription is represented a man wearing a hat and the Crucifixion scene. The inscription shows that “This monument was built in the name of the heroes from Badila who died in the campaign of the years 1916-1918, with the initiative of the priest Dumitru Popescu and of his parishioners to the memory of the heroes “. Their name is inscribed on the monument, but are hardly legible.

Near the school is the monument of the heroes, an obelisk with a cross on top. An inscription states that, “ This monument was raised in the year of salvation 1935, August 18, from the initiative of the Committee, with the support of the donors and of the war widows”. From the Committee for the construction of the monument, says further the inscription, were part the priest Constantin Şerban, Dumitru Stătescu, Dumitru V. Mihalcea, Constantin C. Vrabie, Gheorghe F. Văduva and Dumitru G. Popescu. The inscription on the facade of the monument says it was raised as “Honor and eternal memory of the heroes of this commune who died in the war of 1916-1918 “, their names being inscribed on the monument, adding later also the names of the heroes who died in the Second World War

In the back of the cemetery next to the church dedicated to the “Pious Paraskeva” is a pyramid-shaped monument, in two steps, with a cross on top, placed on a pedestal of parallelipipedal shape. The monument is decorated with the tricolor flag. The inscription tells us, “This monument was built on October 28, 1927”, in the memory of the “Heroes from the Campaign of 1916-1918”. The monument was “Donated by us Şărban Palcău and Guţă Petrea in the memory of our heroes and sons, Palcău Ion and Petrea C. Ion, soldiers that died at Mărăşeşti”. As well, “Initiator and donor” is also “Sava C.N.Mihai, former sergeant major, 4th Artillery Regiment.” At the base of the monument was built a stone sarcophagus bearing the following inscriptions: “ Do not forget us” and “ Here lie three Romanian heroes who died in the War of 1916- 1918 in the battles from Pârscov. Their bones were discovered in the excavations that were made for the building of the dispensary and were placed here with all due honor on the day of the heroes, on 6 June 1935, with the involvement of Mr. Apostol Spătaru”. It is not known the names of the three heroes.

In the courtyard of the church dedicated to the “Great Martyr Saint Demetrius” is built a monument of the heroes, made of stone, of pyramidal shape, to honor the “Heroes of the parish of Pârscovul de Sus who died in the war for the completion of the Romanian people of 1916- 1918 “. On the monument is represented a map of the Greater Romania towards which a hand stretches, that points to the impetus written on the map, “ Keep it by faith, work and sacrifice”. At the base of the monument, after the inscription “ Eternal glory to the heroes of the homeland”, are written the lyrics: “ When your country called you / To defend its earth / Blood and life you have given / Holy will remain your courage / And forever will be glorified”. The names of the heroes are inscribed on the monument, later being added also those of the heroes of the Second World War. On the pedestal is an inscription which states that “This monument was built by my perseverance ….Constantin Stătescu….and of the priest Căpăţână in April 1936.” Near the creek Sărăţel-Bălăneasa, on the right bank, 200 meters downstream from the bridge, is a cross placed on a massive pedestal made of stone from Ciuta, built by the High Command of German stage from Unguriu, on the place of the battle of Parscov from November 29, 1916. The inscription, in German, shows that, “ Here lie 20 German soldiers of the 333 Regiment and 30 Romanian soldiers who died for their country. December 12, 1916. Built by the Road company number 4 and belonging to the battalion 10 Erbach”, followed by the initials of the craftsman. There are no names inscribed.

 

 In the cemetery next to the church dedicated to the “Nativity of Christ” was built in 1975, an obelisk-shaped monument, made of stone, supported by a square pedestal and a patten in steps, decorated with the insignia of the army. The monument honors the memory of those who died in 1877-1878, the “Heroes that died on the battlefield in 1916-1917” and the “Heroes that died on the battlefield in 1941-1944”.

And since we mentioned the heroes of the nation, we must not forget that Romania is a religious country, there is no locality, no matter how small would be, that is not equipped with at least one church. Therefore, Parscov commune has in its patrimony the following churches:

The Orthodox Church “Ascension of the Lord” Olesesti, built in 1867;The Orthodox Church  Parscovu de Jos, built around 1872; The Orthodox Church „St. Dumitru”, Parscovu de Sus, built in 1845; The Orthodox Chapel „St. Pantelimon”, from Parscov locality; The Orthodox Church  , from Robesti locality, built in 1867; The Adventist Prayer House, from Robesti locality; The Orthodox Church  from Runcu locality, built in 1852; The Orthodox Church  , from Tarcov locality, built in 1886.

Personalities

Vasile Voiculescu (born on November 27, 1884, Pârscov, Buzău County – died on April 26, 1963, Bucharest ), was a Romanian doctor, Christian poet, novelist and playwright. Collaborator of Gandirea magazine and member of the group “Rugul Aprins”.

Vasile Voiculescu was born on November 27, 1884 in Parscov commune,  Buzau county, as the son of Costache Voiculescu, wealthy householder, and of Sultana (born as Hagiu), the daughter of a shopkeeper. He starts school in Pleşcoi village in 1890. He concludes the primary studies in Buzău. He follows the high school education at „Alexandru Hâjdeu” High School and then at Gheorghe Lazăr High School from Bucharest. Concerned about materialism, positivism and evolutionism he reads the works of Littré Claude Bernard, Auguste Comte, Darwin and Spencer. He studies the work of Wundt, Höfding, Pierre Janet and W.James, attracted of psychopathology and psychophysics.

Vasile Voiculescu’s poetic beginnings stood under the beneficial influence of the poetry of Vasile Alecsandri, Alexandru Vlahuţă, George Coşbuc. His poetry from the interwar period is distinguished by strong religious accents generated by the belief that God exists. It is part of the current of the interwar traditionalism, which will turn into poetry belonging to the Gandirism current. The inclination towards the telluric and elementary, religious feeling, are signified by symbols and allegories. The signs of expressionism appear gradually: the tumult of life pulsating in the surrounding vegetation, the soul becomes the space of unrest as being on the threshold of the apocalypse. The preferred religious themes are the Nativity, coming of the Magi, the Savior’s death. In the volume Poems with angels are a lot of angelic presences, the whole poetic universe is comprised by this hierophany. He becomes physician and doctor of medicine in Bucharest, helds on the radio a series of famous medical conferences for the peasants, but the passion for writing is amplified, writing also fantastic stories. In prose appear posthumously The auroch’s head, The last Berevoi, both volumes of short stories; the novel Zahei the blind and Theatre, some of the stories were written during the period when he was excluded from the literary life and from drama we can quote the plays: The Spirit of the earth, the Demiurge, Sentimental gymnastics, the Peregrine.