Magura commune is located in the center of Buzău County, in the Curvature Subcarpathians area, on the right side of Buzau River, in the middle sector of it. It includes two localities: the commune residence – Magura village, the belonging village, Ciuta and several hamlets administratively included by the first two.

Located in the southern group of Buzău Subcarpathians (Istriţa-Ciolanu) has specific local characters namely: sudden contact with the plain, with ponderosity, moderate altitudes and depressionary areas, representative for the Subcarpathians. The geomorphology is typical to hilly areas, having large peaks and two main torrential valleys. The genetic types of rocks are represented by marls, clays, limestones and pliocena age stones.


The territory of Buzău county, the cradle of Roman culture and civilization, preserves vestiges attesting human existence in the region from immemorial times. Tools and weapons from carved stones or bones were unearthed in several places within the county, also ceramics from the Neolithic and Bronze Age belonging to the Boian, Gumesti and Monteoru cultures. The vestiges from the Bronze Age were discovered in the hills area, along with the ruins of the roman camp from Pietroasele and of other several Dacian settlements, which are testimony to the continuity of life and civilization in this territory.

Concentration of the population in the area was due to the migration of the Transylvanian shepherds, who crossed the Carpathians for the vast meadows and pastures of Măgura area. The immigrants formed hamlets next to the human settlements and occupied the hillsides tentacles forming the so-called village Măgura.

At the end of the nineteenth century, the commune was part of Buzău county Parscov field  and consisted of the villages Măgura, Ciuta and Unguriu with a total of 2,270 inhabitants. In 1931, the village Unguriu splits for the first time and forms a freestanding commune. In 1950 the commune was included in the district Buzău, from Buzău region and then (after 1952) in Ploiesti region. In 1968 became again part of Buzau county; all then, Unguriu commune was disbanded and again included in Măgura commune. In 2004, the village Unguriu separated together with the new village Ojasca and formed Unguriu commune. In Măgura village there is a school camp, Pine Glade Camp, which is near Ciolanu Monastery and Cetăţuia Hermitage. At Măgura was organized during 1970-1986 the sculpture camp from Măgura, an annual event bringing together students and graduates of the Academy of Arts from Bucharest and also high schools art students; the sculptures made during that period can be seen on the meadows around the monastery Ciolanu.

The area Măgura – Ciuta imposed in terms of economic activity since the days of feudalism. The local economy has started to develop on the specifics of the area: livestock, fruit and handicrafts. The concerns about the latter sector remember the carpenters, wheelwrights, cobbler, blacksmith, furrier, felimongering, but also remember the stone carving art and pottery. Being a transit area, the locals were involved in commercing their own products.


The history of the places, keeps traces of the transition period from the Neolithic to the Bronze Age (items that belong to  Monteoru Culture). Most data and references to Măgura area refer to the period from the XIV-XVI feudalism, where human settlements have been established with priority to replace the old ones. Villages were formed as part of the Diocese of Buzău, so in 1558 Măgura commune is mentioned alongside with Parscov. Through these places went, to Transylvania, Michael the Brave, who appropriated many locals with the estate of Ciuta as a reward for their deeds of arms. So many area residents were part of the free peasants. In the memory of this moment was built the Fountain of Michael the Brave, statuary group made by the sculptor George Coman.